Wednesday, December 6, 2023
HomeCommunityNorth Port Woman Survives Near-Fatal Rattlesnake Bite

North Port Woman Survives Near-Fatal Rattlesnake Bite

A harrowing incident unfolded at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, leaving a North Port woman fighting for her life after being bitten by a rattlesnake. Sierra Lynn, a 21-year-old hiker, suffered an anaphylactic shock within minutes of the venomous encounter, prompting doctors to deliver a grim prognosis. However, through remarkable progress, she is now on the road to recovery.

Visible bite marks adorn Lynn’s bruised, swollen leg, serving as a reminder of the close call with an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. Her boyfriend, Derrick Hunter, shared the uncertainty and emotional turmoil they experienced during the past 13 days. On May 19, while hiking with a friend on Prosper Trail, Lynn unknowingly encountered the snake, feeling a sensation on her leg as she stepped over a log, told Fox13news.

Initially mistaking it for a tree branch strike, Lynn quickly realized the truth. “Oh, crap. I just got bit,” she exclaimed before immediately calling 911, Hunter recounted. In an attempt to reach their cars, Lynn and her friend started running but soon found her collapsing and losing consciousness within minutes. Doctors later explained that the running might have worsened her condition.

Paramedics swiftly arrived on the trail and transported Lynn to Sarasota Memorial Hospital. To combat the venom’s effects, medical professionals administered an unprecedented 58 vials of anti-venom, a record-setting treatment for a snake bite.

Hunter described the miraculous turnaround in Lynn’s condition. “Within the next morning, organs and everything completely turned around. Her heart was coming back strong, and then 48 hours later, her breathing began to improve. On Sunday night, she was taken off the breathing tube. It was incredible—a true miracle,” he said.

Although Lynn celebrated her 21st birthday in the hospital, her family made sure to create a special atmosphere. Throughout her hospital stay, she received five blood transfusions and underwent three procedures to relieve pressure and remove infected tissue.

Hunter praised Lynn’s strength and determination, expressing gratitude for her survival and the opportunity to walk again. Currently undergoing physical therapy, she still faces a few more weeks in the hospital. However, doctors have assured her that she will regain the ability to walk.

To support her medical expenses, Lynn has set up a GoFundMe campaign.

Jake Massey
Jake Massey
Journalist at the Medialinker Group


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments