This man had surgery to save his life after a popcorn kernel became lodged in his teeth. According to the Daily Mail, Adam Martin, a firefighter who underwent open heart surgery after having popcorn lodged in his teeth, was on the verge of death when the dangerous infection attacked his heart and left him struggling for life. The 41-year-old battled to get the popcorn lodged between his teeth and ended up getting an ailment known as endocarditis as a result.
When bacteria from another region of your body, such as the mouth, move via the circulation and infect damaged portions of the heart, it is known as endocarditis. The only thing Adam could think of that could have contributed to the infection when the doctors questioned him about a potential reason, was his incessant wriggling and prodding at the food that was stuck in his teeth. Adam claimed he put everything in his mouth, including a metal nail and everything from a pen, lid, toothpick, and a bit of wire. The continual fidgeting with his mouth in an effort to get the popcorn out produced toothache when he injured his gum.
Yet he did nothing in place of visiting the dentist.
Adam experienced night sweats, exhaustion, headaches, and finally a heart murmur a week later, all of which are symptoms of the illness. Adam, a father of three from Cornwall’s Kovarak, said: “The medics informed me.” I may have died in three days if I hadn’t visited the doctor when I did. On a scale of infection, 350 is when most people pass away, and I was at 340. My cardiac valves had been entirely destroyed by the illness. All of this would not have occurred if I had seen the dentist in the first place.
It was fairly moving and moving at one point. The encounter was the worst I’ve ever had. Death was not far away, therefore I consider myself very fortunate. The only thing I can think of as a potential reason is popcorn trapped in my teeth. I’ll never eat popcorn again, that much is certain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
At the end of September, while watching a movie with his wife Helen, 38, Adam split a bag of popcorn. The popcorn became lodged in a tooth in the rear left of his mouth, which drove Adam insane for three days and was impossible for him to remove. Adam acknowledges that he messed around with his gum by jiggling it about with various items he found laying around. His blood tests and X-rays, which were ordered after the physicians identified a small cardiac murmur in him, revealed nothing serious other than slightly elevated inflammatory markers.
Adam was given medication and told to get well on his own, but a few days later he was still feeling flu-like. Also, he got a blood blister on his toe that was subsequently determined to be a Janeway lesion. a visible sign of infectious endocarditis. The inner lining of the heart chambers and heart valves, the endocardium, becomes infected and becomes subject to endocarditis. Bacteria might then move through the circulation and harm other parts of the heart as a result.
Endocarditis has the potential to harm or even kill heart valves if it is not treated immediately. On October 18, Adam visited the Royal Cornwall Hospital out of concern for his deteriorating condition at the time. He spoke. There was definitely something incorrect, in my opinion. I felt lousy and I was sleeping a lot. I was brought to the hospital the same day for testing since I felt pains in my legs and did not feel well at all. I was now feeling really anxious. I was pretty unwell, and I was aware that nothing was right.
His femoral artery was blocked by an infected clot, which required a five-hour operation to remove. Adam was then given antibiotics to help battle the infection. Nevertheless, a chest examination indicated that his heart needed an immediate operation due to significant damage. On October 21, he underwent a seven-hour open-heart procedure to replace his aortic valve and repair his mitral valve after being transported to Derriford Hospital. Adam claimed that because of the virus, my heart was no longer functioning normally. It was basically destroyed. The valves had been destroyed by the virus.
I should have just seen the dentist right away. I don’t want anyone to experience what I did. Everything occurred so rapidly, and things did become dicey. I won’t be consuming popcorn once again. That much is true.
To assume that’s why everything happened is absurd. It was really unimportant. Following surgery, Adam made a speedy recovery and went back to live with his wife Helen and their three kids, Meghan, 15, Holly, 14, and George, 7. Any signs of toothache bleeding or a gum infection, Helen the teaching assistant asked at the end of October. Has it been examined?