In a recent incident, a 62-year-old woman named Mobley fell seriously ill after consuming fried rice at a restaurant, shedding light on the dangers of what is now being referred to as “fried rice syndrome.”
Mobley’s love for dining out exposed her to an unpleasant experience as she experienced severe sickness and struggled to breathe during her drive home, fearing for her life. If she had been aware of this rare syndrome, she would have sought immediate medical attention.
Initially attempting to ignore the symptoms, Mobley soon realized she couldn’t carry on with her day as usual. She was subsequently admitted to the intensive care unit, prompting her desire to educate others about the truth behind “fried rice syndrome.”
Chefs often leave rice at room temperature to prevent clumping, but this practice can lead to the growth of harmful bacteria, specifically Bacillus cereus, which poses a threat to those who consume it.
Bacillus cereus thrives when rice is left at room temperature for an extended period. With the ongoing heatwave in the United States, the bacteria can multiply rapidly.
Culinary expert Rogers explained, “We often cook batches of rice and leave them out at room temperature to cool. However, we need to be mindful of the time frame. Rice must be cooled within six hours.”
Although this practice is common among chefs, it should not exceed the recommended six-hour limit. Mobley’s attorney, Knots, commented on the severity of “fried rice syndrome,” stating, “It may sound like a joke, but it’s a very serious condition.
I had never even heard of it before.” Mobley hopes that by sharing her story, preventive measures can be taken to avoid such incidents in the future.
Rogers emphasized the need to cool the rice quickly by spreading it on a flat surface, increasing its surface area for faster cooling. By republishing this story, awareness is being raised regarding the potential risks associated with “fried rice syndrome.”