A concerned mother is urging others to avoid a viral TikTok trend after suffering severe injuries and excruciating pain when an egg she was cooking exploded, causing her facial skin to peel off.
Shafia Bashir attempted to make a poached egg using a popular TikTok method that involves pouring boiling water into a mug, adding the egg, and microwaving it for a few minutes. However, when the 37-year-old touched the egg with a cold spoon, it exploded, scalding the right side of her face. Despite running her face under the tap for 20 minutes, the burning sensation persisted, forcing her to seek emergency medical care.
Shafia described the experience as the most excruciating pain she had ever felt, and even after 12 hours, she still experienced discomfort. Although she has now recovered without scarring, she is warning others against attempting the TikTok hack to prevent similar injuries, reported independent.
Expressing her concern, Shafia said, “I just don’t want anyone else going through that because it is trending on TikTok… It was the most excruciating pain in my life.” She recounted the terrifying incident and the subsequent trip to the emergency department, where she applied various remedies like Vaseline and Sudocrem to aid healing.
Shafia admitted to using the microwave egg cooking method for three years, but it recently gained popularity as a TikTok hack. However, microwaving eggs poses a risk of explosion as the heat remains trapped within the shell, continuing to cook the egg even after removal from the microwave. Any sudden disruption, like placing a cold spoon on the egg, can cause it to burst, as Shafia experienced firsthand.
Cooking hacks shared on social media platforms, including TikTok, have gained significant attention, but they also carry potential dangers. Shafia’s cautionary tale serves as a reminder to exercise caution and prioritize safety when attempting viral trends.