A man from Wisconsin narrowly escaped a life-threatening situation when he suffered an epileptic seizure and nearly choked to death on his dentures.
The 22-year-old, who remains unnamed, was wearing a set of silver fake teeth when the incident occurred, causing him to cough heavily and struggle to breathe.
He was rushed to the hospital, where an X-ray revealed that the 1.5-inch denture had become lodged in his lung’s airway, as detailed in a recent case study published in the Cureus medical journal.
Medical professionals promptly performed a bronchoscopy, employing a flexible tube to navigate down the man’s throat and remove the dentures from his lung airway.
Thankfully, the doctors were successful in dislodging the false teeth, but the patient experienced bronchospasm—a tightening of the lung airway muscles—as a result of the procedure. He received steroid treatment and was later discharged from the hospital, according to Jam Press.
This incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers associated with dentures and the importance of taking appropriate precautions when wearing them.
In a separate incident earlier this month, a TikTok video went viral, featuring a woman whose dentures fell out into her birthday cake as she took a bite. The amusing footage garnered over 82 million views, capturing the moment of surprise and laughter as the woman realized what had happened.