Tuesday, October 3, 2023
HomeLocal News8-Year-Old Boy's Five-Year Cough Finally Explained: Plastic Toy Lodged in Throat

8-Year-Old Boy’s Five-Year Cough Finally Explained: Plastic Toy Lodged in Throat

- Advertisement -

Marley, an 8-year-old boy, had been suffering from a persistent cough and breathing difficulties for five years until doctors discovered the cause. Despite multiple diagnoses ranging from asthma to allergies, Marley’s cough persisted, causing significant distress.

Determined to find answers, Marley’s parents took him to the hospital, seeking treatment for his cough and throat blockage. He was admitted to the intensive care unit, where surgeons uncovered the true reason behind his symptoms.

According to Marley’s mother, doctors revealed that he had swallowed a small plastic toy, a flower when he was just three years old. However, this went unnoticed until years later, after undergoing various treatments for unrelated conditions. Surgeons successfully removed the plastic toy from Marley’s throat, and he was scheduled for surgery to repair the damage to his airway.

When asked about his experience during a news call, Marley, speaking from his hospital bed at the Children’s Hospital, mentioned that having the toy lodged in his throat felt like nothing to him. His mother recalled how he would experience prolonged coughing fits while eating, causing concern and making it difficult for him to participate in physical activities.

Initially diagnosed with asthma, Marley’s mother had doubts due to the coughing episodes after meals, which are not typical of asthma. The discovery of the toy blocking his throat came as a shock but brought a sense of relief that it was not a more serious condition.

Reflecting on the journey, Marley’s mother emphasized the importance of persistence when seeking answers for children’s health issues. She encouraged parents to trust their instincts and advocate for their children’s well-being. Finally having an answer after years of uncertainty brought both shock and relief, knowing that Marley’s condition was caused by a foreign object and not an inherent medical condition.

“I was absolutely shocked. But also really relieved, to be honest, because out of all these years, I finally had an answer,” she said. “My main concern at that point in time was that he was actually born with that condition. Because if he had been born with it, he would have had other issues. To know it was caused by a foreign body, was a slight bit of relief for me. My message to other parents is that if you feel like there is something wrong, just keep pushing for it. I am so glad I did because it means I have him today.”

Pic: Family handout
PAUL BRITTONhttps://tosbos.com/
Paul joined the Manchester Evening News in 2004 and Tosbos in 2022. A senior reporter, he's experienced in crime and court reporting - and also holds the defense portfolio.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments