Thursday, September 28, 2023
HomeCommunityMother ‘bought this toy’ for her son, it nearly killed her infant...

Mother ‘bought this toy’ for her son, it nearly killed her infant daughter!

In a heart-wrenching interview, Folicia, a young mother, found herself in shock when her 10-month-old daughter, Kennedy, suddenly became lethargic and began vomiting. Initially, Folicia suspected that her baby might be experiencing a food-related issue, but the situation quickly escalated, and her daughter’s life hung in the balance.

Growing increasingly concerned as Kennedy’s symptoms persisted, Felicia made the decision to take her to the hospital in search of answers. Eventually, the child was transferred to a specialized children’s hospital via ambulance, where doctors conducted tests on the 10-month-old and discovered a significant mass in her stomach. It was at this point that the cause of Kennedy’s distress became clearer, Mitchell told “Good Morning America.” 

Felicia revealed that a few days prior, she had purchased the Chuckle & Roar Ultimate Water Beads Kit for her 8-year-old son. The realization that one of these water beads could be the source of the problem left her stunned. She admitted that she had never considered the possibility of her baby swallowing one of the beads.

Felicia emphasized that she took precautions to ensure her son played with the water beads away from his younger siblings, stating, “We never saw her near them. Never saw her have one in her hand. Never saw her pick one up from the floor.” The mother expressed her disbelief, as the idea had never crossed her mind while Kennedy’s health deteriorated.

However, tests confirmed that Kennedy had indeed ingested one of the water beads, which are composed of superabsorbent polymers that expand in water. These beads can enlarge to the size of a tennis ball, leading to intestinal blockages and damage, as highlighted by health officials.

The accidental ingestion of the water bead, which expanded after being swallowed, necessitated five surgeries for Kennedy. During the first surgery to remove the bead, doctors discovered that her intestines were already damaged. Four subsequent surgeries followed due to infections resulting from the blockage, as reported by the NY Post.

Felicia described the arduous battle for her daughter’s life, revealing that doctors had given Kennedy only a 50-50 chance of surviving her third operation. Although Kennedy managed to pull through, Folicia received three separate instances of heartbreaking news during the course of a month, with doctors cautioning that her baby might not make it.

A month after swallowing the bead, Kennedy remained in the hospital, recuperating, and medical professionals were uncertain about any potential long-term effects. Nevertheless, Folicia acknowledged her daughter’s remarkable resilience in defying the daunting odds thus far.

Enduring such a harrowing ordeal, the distraught mother aims to raise awareness and issued a warning to other parents after her child nearly lost her life due to accidentally swallowing a water bead. She took to her social media account to share her terrifying experience, cautioning parents about the potential fatality associated with these beads, which are intended for children aged 4 and older. The store involved has responded to the matter, stating that it has removed the Chuckle & Roar Ultimate Water Beads Kit from its shelves and website while conducting a thorough review of the situation.

Jake Massey
Jake Massey
Journalist at the Medialinker Group


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments