Local News

A pregnant woman was told by doctors to end her pregnancy 14 times, ‘then realized she made the best possible decision’!

Kiera’s journey was filled with heartbreak and immense joy as she faced multiple miscarriages over a span of two years. However, her determination was unwavering when she discovered she was pregnant again. The 12-week scan brought relief as everything seemed well, but eight weeks later, a troubling discovery was made.

Doctors noticed severe ascites in the unborn baby’s bowel, grade 3 in severity, and advised Kiera to consider terminating the pregnancy. However, she refused to give up on her little miracle. Throughout the remainder of her pregnancy, Kiera went for weekly scans, each visit bearing a shattered heart as doctors continued to urge termination.

At the 28-week scan, devastating news arrived—the baby’s bowel had ruptured, and once again, termination was suggested. Amidst the turmoil, doctors recommended draining the amniotic fluid to alleviate the situation, but Kiera, fearing for her baby’s life, made the brave choice to decline the procedure. The fluid build-up plagued Kiera, causing excruciating pain and hindering her mobility.

When Kiera finally gave birth to her daughter Lillee, weighing a delicate 4lb 3oz, it was a bittersweet moment. After a brief, cherished connection with her mother, Lillee was swiftly transferred to a different hospital. There, doctors worked urgently to save her life, providing intensive care inside an incubator for eight weeks.

At just six weeks old, Lillee underwent a second critical surgery. Her condition, jejunal atresia with ascites, is incredibly rare, with only one to three cases occurring in every 10,000 births. In fact, her situation is so uncommon that doctors are writing research papers on Lillee, including her lactose intolerance, to aid future cases.

Throughout this journey, Kiera, the courageous mother, faced immense pressure as doctors reportedly advised her to terminate her pregnancy on 14 separate occasions. Despite the overwhelming odds, she defied their recommendations and welcomed home a healthy baby girl. At 34 weeks, when Kiera went into labor, she was gripped by fear of losing her precious daughter.

Just half an hour after arriving at the hospital, Lillee entered the world naturally. Yet, Kiera’s time with her newborn was fleeting as Lillee required immediate surgery and spent 20 weeks in the hospital. Finally, the day arrived when Kiera could take her daughter home, a monumental moment after months of trials and tribulations.

Now, six months later, Lillee thrives as a joyful and healthy baby girl. While she has a delicate bowel, doctors have reassured her mother that future complications are not anticipated. Lillee undergoes regular monitoring every three months, and with each passing day, she grows stronger, embodying resilience and the triumph of hope.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button